Malign Pleural Mesothelioma is the result of an asbestos contamination and it’s diagnosed with a biopsy, the patient’s present pain in the chest and thorax.
also known as (MPM) Malign Pleural Mesothelioma is a type of cancer of the thoracic tissue which covers the lungs, formed by the inhalation of asbestos. Patients who have this disease show painful sensation in the chest and thorax. This disease is located in the pleura, containing malign cells, forming a tumor tissue.
Malign Pleural Mesothelioma diagnosis
The first diagnosis is done by touching the affecting area, looking for any signs, also by giving some information about the food you ate recently, all these to have a quick routine diagnosis.
- Computerized Tomography of the thorax, these are computerized images which reflect axial images, internal organs, blood vessels, respiratory tracts, lungs, and thorax.
- Doing a biopsy to find the cancer process with the pathologist in charge of analyzing this cells with a microscope.
- An open biopsy is done with local anesthesia, the patient will be aware of the procedure, this should be done by a specialized surgeon.
- In the Laparoscopic biopsy, a small incision is done to introduce a needle with a camera, this will help guide the doctor in the extraction of a sample.
- The Thoracoscopy is a noninvasive surgery, by insertion through the intercostal spaces of the thoracic cavity on the chest.
- The Thoracotomy surgery is done in the diagnosis of the chronic obstructive lung disease. Entering through the esophagus and windpipe.
- Peritoneoscopy Incision, the peritoneum is a membrane which covers the abdominal cavity, doing a visual illustrative test of the peritoneum cavity in the internal layer or visceral peritoneum.
The IHC immunohistochemistry is the procedure of coloration with ink injected via intravenous and through the tissue to find cellular proteins, this radioactive substance will help find any cancerous activity.
The cytology evaluation is analyzed by the pathologist observing the extracted liquid and the pleural membrane to find any cancerous cells.
Analyzing it through an electronic microscope, it is a modern machine, quite different to normal microscopes, reaching higher zooming options, thanks to the use of long wave electrodes, showing dimensional figures with a 3 by 20nm resolution.
Advance stage of cancer, size of the affected cancerous tumor, age, gender, hemoglobin blood test, physical state, the quantity of pleural liquid and anemic state. At this time, family support is quite helpful.
Treatment for the Malign Pleural Mesothelioma
There are several available treatments in 2017, with a timely done analysis with a biopsy, a thoracoscopy surgery can be done. Also, chemotherapy treatment is recommended, with pleurodesis, followed by an internal radiotherapy.
The surgeon removes it from the pleural fibrous covering the lung’s tumor. In more complex cases, the lung will be removed in its entirety.